Thursday, April 30, 2009

In praise of BB&T

In praise of a bank?

I first heard of BB&T through an Econtalk podcast, in which John Allison spoke about values.

I was highly impressed by John, and after hearing mention of the company reading list in the interview, and not being able to find any information on this in the aether, I contacted John. In short order I received the reading list and some material from him. I was quite struck by his taking the time to respond to me - even a small personalized note that was signed by him, not a "digital" signed stock letter.

Later, I noticed that there are BB&T chairs to help support free market economics research programs.

John's message resonates, and the actions of BB&T are where their mouth are.

BB&T is a great business in the classic sense - they maximize not solely and abstractly profit, but value. The cartoon version of maximizing only profit falls flat under a moments consideration, as profit is linked to so many other aspects of behaviour and cannot be "cleanly" pursued (and life would be boring if it could be!).

If BB&T had a branch near me I would move my business to them - if you have the option, I suggest you consider BB&T: what one wants in a bank is prudence and integrity. All the evidence strongly suggests that BB&T has just those characteristics.

I think I will re- listen to the EconTalk podcast discussion with John. On a personal note I listened to the podcast during a particularly difficult time in my life, and John's message - and his response to my inquiry - struck me in a very positive way, it will be interesting to see how the discussion sounds on a second listen...

Thank you John. Enjoy your retirement!

1 comment:

  1. I've banked with BB&T since I was old enough to open my first savings account. My father, who uses them for personal banking and business banking (he is an entrepreneur), has always spoken highly of them.

    ReplyDelete